Patna to Spread 1,167 sq km in New Master Plan

July 26, 2014 | Last Modified: December 15, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Patna, the capital city of Bihar is all set to get its new master plan for the next 20 years. As reported by Telegraph India, the state cabinet has approved the plan area of the Patna master plan which is expected to be made public within next 1-2 weeks.

In the new master plan, the city plan area has been increased by more than 4 times. The city will now be spread over an area of approximately 1,167 square kilometers in comparison with the existing 250 square kilometers. The plan would be first put publicly for a period of 60 days for receiving the comments/suggestions from the residents of the city. After that the plan will again be reviewed and will be presented to the state cabinet again for approval.

Below are some of the highlights of the new Patna master plan

  • Residential, commercial, mixed land use, industrial, public- semi public uses, urban agriculture zones and no development are the 7 proposed zones in the new master plan.
  • The proposed Patna metropolitan region would stretch from Ganga in the north to Punpun in the south and Fatuha in east to Bihta in the west.
  • Two satellite townships in the city will be developed to cater to the rapid urbanization and population growth.
  • The proposed Patna Metropolitan Region (PMR) would incorporate Khusraupur, Maner, Phulwarisharif, Punpun, Bihta, Danapur, Khagaul, Daniyawan, Masaurhi, Naubatpur, Danaura, Fatuha and Sampatchak blocks.
  • 60% of the urban area will be used for the developments while the rest 40% will be kept open/green.
  • Out of the total designated development urban area, about 50% will be used for residential developments and rest for setting up the commercial infrastructure, buildings for industrial/manufacturing sector, transport infrastructure, public and semi-public buildings and space for recreational purpose.
  • 15, 24, 30, 45 and 60 meters are the 5 proposed widths of the roads in and around the city.
  • A total of around 90 square kilometer will be used for developing the road network alone.
  • A new airport near Punpun in southern Patna will be developed along with the airport city.
  • 13 blocks spread over 5 local urban bodies comprises the new plan area.