A plan has been drawn for the construction of 5,000 houses in Bidar for providing housing units to poor segments. According to the source, the district administration has made plans focuses on the use of advanced technology to construct low cost group housing complex. These housing units to be distributed to poor families of auto drivers, sex workers, beggars, widows, those who are physically challenged and other nine categories under central government’s housing for all scheme in the state.
A single housing units under the plan will be available in at the cost of Rs. 3.5 lakh.
The reduction in cost will be achieved through new and efficient ways of construction such as the use of fly ash bricks and prefabricated partition walls, made in the State-run Nirmiti Kendra in Bidar. The furnishing material will be used which are available within the district so that the logistic cost can be reduced. Reinforced cement concrete will be used for the pillars and ceilings, but cement plastering will be minimal.
According to the source, the first step of constructing these housing units will be placed in the labor colony slum in Bidar where 65 houses will be constructed in over a month.
The Deputy Commissioner, Anurag Tewari quoted that this project is going to change the way of housing schemes which are implemented and we submitted a proposal to the Rajiv Gandhi Housing Corporation to build 5,000 houses and got in principle approval from the government for taking up the first 500 houses. Once we pick up pace of construction, we will pitch in for the remaining four and a half thousand.
He insists that the work will be done quickly as budget and group houses require fewer walls and minimal furnishing and almost all the materials will be produced locally.
This is not the first time when the advanced technology is used for constructing housing units. According to the information, Bidar has had a history of constructing low cost group houses. In 2007-08, a complex of 35 houses was built in labor colony in Bidar at total cost of just Rs.14 lakh and 135 houses were built in Auto Nagar on the outskirt of Bidar at the cost of Rs. 70,000 each.
- As per the plan, single unit will be available at the cost of Rs. 3.5 lakh.
- Houses will be constructed in the apartment of 16 houses in a base area of 600 square feet.
- Each apartment will have houses on the ground floor and three top floors.
- The one bedroom houses will have a hall, kitchen and a washroom-toilet block.
- Local stones and tiles will be used.
- Wood items will be replaced by cheaper, but sturdier materials like panelled wood and honeycomb planks.
- All fittings – electrical, plumbing and partitions – will be manufactured by agencies in Bidar.