Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) came in to existence to provide uninterrupted power supply to the rural areas of the nation. It is one of the key initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Under the scheme, round the clock power will be supplied to rural areas which will help reforms those areas. The Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) has been replaced by Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) which was launched earlier for the same purpose.
The scheme is launched to cover works relating to feeder separation, strengthening of sub-transmission & distribution systems including metering of distribution transformer/feeders/consumers and rural electrification.
The scheme is launched with two components including:
- Separate agriculture and non-agriculture feeders facilitating judicious restoring of supply to agricultural and non-agricultural consumers in rural areas.
- Strengthening and augmentation of sub transmission and distribution infrastructure in rural areas, including metering of distribution transformers/feeders/consumers.
Objectives of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
Ministry of Power, Government of India has launched Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana for rural areas having following objectives:
- To provide electrification to all villages.
- Feeder separation to ensure sufficient power to farmers and regular supply to other consumers.
- Improvement of Sub-transmission and distribution network to improve the quality and reliability of the supply.
- Metering to reduce the losses.
The estimated cost of the DDUGJY is around Rs.43,033 crore which includes the requirement of budgetary support of Rs.33,453 crore from Government of India over the entire implementation period.
Benefits from Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
- All villages and households shall be electrified.
- Increase in agriculture yield by providing sufficient electricity.
- Small businesses and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment.
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services.
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet, mobile and other services.
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity.
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations etc.
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development.
More details about Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana can be found at the official website mentioned below.